Benefits of recycled glass
Manufacturers benefit from using recycled glass in several ways.
Recycled glass reduces emissions and consumption of raw materials, extends the life of plant equipment such as furnaces, and saves energy. Recycled glass can be substituted for up to 100% of raw materials and reduces costs for bead manufacturers while also benefiting the environment—a nice marketing feature.
- Free from heavy metals: Strategic Materials cullet meets or exceeds highway bead metal requirements.
- Reduces energy requirements: It is generally asserted that cullet requires 25-30% less energy to melt than virgin batch materials but bead makers realize substantially higher energy savings using cullet.
- Lowers air emissions and reduces carbon footprint: Since using cullet allows a bead manufacturers to avoid installing a traditional glass melting furnace, they avoid significant air emissions.
- Creates a competitive cost advantage: Glass cullet costs less than virgin glass and costs less in the manufacturing process.
- Saves water & helps the environment: Cullet adds 100% recycled materials diverted from landfills.
- Supports recycling: Consumers are looking for higher percentages of recycled content in all of their products and motorists benefit from the safety that highway beads deliver by lighting up our roads at night.