Use of cullet by fiberglass insulation manufacturers continues to rise each year.
Manufacturers are quickly realizing the advantages of using quality recycled glass cullet. When cullet is used, manufacturing requires less energy and is easier on equipment. Glass cullet from Strategic Materials meets or exceeds industry standards for product quality and consistency.
Why should you use glass cullet from Strategic Materials?
Strategic Materials production processes utilize different types of equipment in series to process the various types of inbound material to meet and exceed our customer specifications. We use the latest technology to produce the highest quality cullet and our continuous improvement initiatives ensure we don’t rest on our laurels. When you work with Strategic Materials, you also benefit from our nationwide network that brings materials closer to you.
- Crushers and screens are used to size the material from a course 5/8” product to a fine grind powder which are the standard sizes used by the fiberglass industry. Fine grind material also goes thru a drying process to ensure proper material flow thru the screening and silo storage process.
- Optical sorters are used to separate the various glass colors from each other (clear glass from brown from green) and sorters are also used to separate ceramic and stone contamination from good glass. Additional machines in mathematical sequence work to polish the product to the desired specification.
- Magnets of all types and vacuum systems are used to further clean up the glass stream by removing ferrous and non-ferrous metals and light material (paper & organics) from heavier glass fragments.
Benefits of recycled glass
Manufacturers benefit from using recycled glass in several ways.
Recycled glass reduces emissions and consumption of raw materials, extends the life of plant equipment such as furnaces, and saves energy. Recycled glass can be substituted for up to 95% of raw materials and reduces costs for manufacturers while also benefiting the environment—a nice marketing feature.
- Requires less energy: It is generally asserted that cullet requires 25-30% less energy to melt than virgin batch materials.
- Lowers air emissions and reduces carbon footprint: One ton of carbon dioxide is reduced for every six tons of recycled container glass used in the manufacturing process.
- Helps protect the environment: Cullet reduces the need for precious raw materials and the water used to extact them. Using 1 ton of cullet replaces the need for 1.2 tons of raw materials. Also, recycling glass saves landfill space and helps extend their life.
- Supports recycling: Consumers are looking for higher percentages of recycled content and recognize the value of a closed loop recycling process.